Tuesday, March 19, 2013

AL: Remember Me


Allan Leo Proctor

May 17, 1938 - March 11, 2000



Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can floods drown it.
If one offered for love
all the wealth of his house,
it would be utterly scorned.
 Song of Solomon 8:6-7


All the love that history knows,
is said to be in every rose.
Yet all that could be found in two,
is less than what I feel for you.
Bradley Stewart



And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
II Kings 2:11

Creating a memorial of any kind, searching to find just the right tribute to a life well-lived, is always a difficult task. Creating a web page to remember and celebrate a fellow who was "everybody's computer guru" is a bit daunting... but here goes.

As I write this in August 2002 it has been almost two and a half years since my beloved husband lost his short, violent battle with lung cancer. I still feel his presence and miss him terribly every day. Now and then, as the world says I must somehow "let go," a dream of him will come that is so vivid and seems so very real... that waking up to find him still gone is like losing him all over again.

Al was not ready to go; he fought his battle with extraordinary strength and bravery until the very end. We did have the opportunity for a few bittersweet moments of farewell... something that is denied to many. For that I am grateful.

I guess these pages in his honor are really for me, as much as for those few people who will ever actually see them. Nevertheless it is important to me to do it, to put something "out there" for the world to see - to say, Stop. Look. Listen. Remember. (And yes, move on... but it really is OK to stop and do a little more remembering every now and then. )

Forever,
MonaGail

Remember Me

To the living I am gone
To the sorrowful, I will never return
To the angry, I was cheated.
But to the happy, I am at peace
And to the faithful, I have never left.
I cannot speak, but I can listen
I cannot be seen, but I can be heard.
So, as you stand upon a shore,
Gazing at a beautiful sea
Remember me.
As you look in awe at a mighty forest
And its grand majesty
Remember me.
Remember me in your heart,
Your thoughts and your memories
Of the times we cried,
The times we fought,
The times we laughed,
For if you always think of me,
I will never be gone from your side.

(unknown)

* * * * * * * * * * * *

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach...
I love with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life;
and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1806-1861





No comments:

Post a Comment